Thursday, April 16, 2015

Fluffy French Toast

Fluffy French Toast - made April 11, 2015, adapted from Black Jack Bakehouse
Remember my $8 loaf of brioche from Voyageur du Temps? After trying a piece (it was good), I was going to make bread pudding with the rest of it. Never got the bread pudding off the ground (seemed like too much effort at the time) so I went with the lower level of effort to use up 2 slices to try out this recipe for Fluffy French Toast.
The secret to the fluffy was supposed to come from adding flour to the milk-and-egg mixture according to the original recipe. I’m going to be honest, I don’t know if I could tell the difference. I’m not such a French toast gourmand that I could make the distinction. In fact, I don’t have French toast very often because when it comes to carb-y breakfast food, pancakes and waffles usually edge out French toast when I’m given the choice.
This was good but I think it needed more sugar. I already upped the sugar content to 2 tablespoons but against that much milk and that many eggs, that wasn’t enough. I should’ve added more. The syrup helped which is probably why you don’t want the custard to be too sweet but I’ve got a high tolerance for sugar so I think the French toast could’ve been sweeter. It’s all a matter of personal preference. But hey, the $8 bread was still good.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
3 eggs. slightly beaten
scant 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar
7-8 thickly cut slices of bread (I used brioche)
  1. In a large bowl, add flour and slowly whisk in the milk. Add the eggs, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar.
  2. Soak the bread slices in the mixture while heating a large frying pan or griddle, well greased with butter or cooking spray.
  3. When pan is hot, place soaked bread slices in center and cook slowly over medium-low heat. Cook until bottom is golden brown. Flip over and cook several minutes more until desired doneness. Serve hot with butter and/or maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment