Wednesday, December 17, 2014

12 Days of Christmas Cookies - Day 9: Soft and Chewy Molasses Gingerdoodles

Soft and Chewy Molasses Gingerdoodles - made dough December 6, 2014 from Averie Cooks
If you haven’t noticed yet, my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies series a) hasn’t strictly been “cookies” in the traditional narrow-minded sense (I reserve the right to take artistic license with the definition of a cookie) and b) haven’t really been so much about flavors popular with the holiday season. No eggnog, no fruitcake (shudder), no peppermint, no gingerbread. Instead, I’ve factored in what I personally get asked for when people know they’re getting their holiday baking gifts from me as well as taking into account how busy this time of year is for most people so I’m going for quick, easy, and in some cases, can incorporate helping hands so you don’t have to bake alone if you don’t want to.
But I did decide I needed at least one flavor of the season and this is it. I couldn’t quite cross the line to gingerbread but I did go for this version of ginger molasses cookies. I don’t love ginger molasses cookies as a general rule. I don’t mind the ginger but I get hung up on the relatively strong taste of the molasses. I’ve tried regular molasses and “light” molasses and I’m still not fond of it.
I tried to tell myself it’s not all about me (really?) and some people might actually like molasses cookies so I should bake it for some of my gifts. It’s not like I actually eat more than 1 cookie from a new recipe anyway and this was going to be automatic portion control if I didn’t love it. When I want to be conservative and try out a new recipe with a high chance of success, I go to Averie’s blog. I found this recipe for molasses gingerdoodles which was a cross between a regular ginger molasses cookie and a snickerdoodle. Sold.
I baked mine a couple of minutes longer than her recipe said to and they still felt a bit more underbaked than they should have been. I suspect Averie’s oven runs hotter than mine as this isn’t the first time I’ve encountered these results. The taste itself was good for what it was though. If that’s not a ringing endorsement, remember my picky taste buds and picky taste prejudices. If it helps, one of my baking recipients of the cookies thought they were yummy and they went pretty quickly at work when I brought the rest in. So here’s my token holiday flavor cookie.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup dark or light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup unsulphured molasses (don't use blackstrap)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch salt, optional and to taste
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Cinnamon-Sugar Coating
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  1. To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) combine the butter, sugars, egg, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 4 minutes. 
  2. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the molasses, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, optional salt, and beat on medium-high speed until combined and smooth, about 1 minute. 
  3. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tartar, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 45 seconds. 
  4. Using a medium 2-inch cookie scoop, form two tablespoon mounds. Place mounds on a large plate or tray, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, up to 5 days. The dough is soft, mushy, limp, and isn't suitable for baking until it's been chilled. Do not bake with unchilled dough because cookies will bake thinner, flatter, and be more prone to spreading.
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
  6. Cinnamon-Sugar Coating: Add sugar and cinnamon to a small bowl and stir to combine. Roll each mound of dough through the coating, liberally coating all sides. 
  7. Place coated mounds on baking sheets, spaced at least 2 inches apart. Bake for about 8 to 9 minutes, or until edges have set and tops are have crackled; don't overbake for soft cookies. Cookies firm up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment