Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fudgy Brownies with Cookie Butter Frosting

Fudgy Brownies with Cookie Butter Frosting - made September 27, 2014 from Lauren's Latest
Since my encounter with the Cookie Butter Cupcake from Fairy Cakes, I've found a renewed love for cookie butter. I'd had this jar of Biscoff spread (aka cookie butter) in my pantry for awhile and it was time to crack it open and scrape bottom. If you click on the recipe title of this post, you'll go to the original blog post and recipe from Lauren's Latest. You'll also see her brownies look different from mine. I swear I followed her recipe exactly so I'm not entirely sure why my frosting ended up spreading so thin. In hindsight, I think I should've baked these in an 8 x 8 pan, instead of the 9 x 9 listed in the recipe. That would've made not only the brownies thicker but also the frosting.
Normally I don't care for a thick layer of frosting since I have a bad habit of scraping off most of the frosting anyway. But this was cookie butter frosting. I wanted to try and recreate the frosting from Fairy Cakes. This didn't quite do it as it set quite quickly and had a firmer texture. The taste was good though and the sweetness of the frosting was nicely complemented by the dark chocolate fudginess of the brownie.
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour

Frosting
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons cookie butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 square pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a small pot, melt butter, chocolate chips and cocoa together over medium low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. 
  3. Stir in eggs, 1 at a time and vanilla. Gently stir in all dry ingredients until just incorporated. 
  4. Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-30 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool.
  5. For the frosting, stir butter, cookie butter, vanilla and powdered sugar together until a thick paste forms. 
  6. Stir in milk carefully and then mix vigorously to smooth out any lumps. Spread over brownies, cut into bars and serve.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the combination of cookie butter and chocolate, this would be dangerous in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually like cookie butter with vanilla to highlight the cookie butter but I have to admit, it pairs well with chocolate too :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good! Love the idea of cookie butter frosting. I think you're right about using a 8x8 pan next time. The pan that was used in the original blog post looked like a 8x8 pan to me (I have one like it). Maybe it was a typo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right that it was baked in an 8 x 8 pan. I'm going to use that next time.

      Delete