Tuesday, January 22, 2013

German Chocolate Cake Bars

German Chocolate Cake Bars - made January 16, 2013, recipe adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff

Although I'm not a fan of box cake mixes, I am a fan of German Chocolate Cake or any version thereof.  So I put my snobbery aside for this recipe.  You just can't go wrong with chocolate and a gooey coconut topping.  Plus this was super easy to make and is perfect when you're short on time and need a decent number of servings.  I needed something for both dinner with my friends and a team lunch and there was enough of these bars to go around for everyone's goodie bags.

They turned out okay although I think I inadvertently overbaked them so mine didn't look as good as the picture from Six Sisters' Stuff.  Plus, my snobby taste buds kicked in and I could taste the cake mix.  The topping was good but next time I think I would go with my snobby inclinations and bake a German chocolate cake base from scratch.

Crust:
1 box devil's food cake mix (not the kind with pudding added)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg

Filling:
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup chopped pecans (toast them first to bring out their flavor)
1 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened coconut)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter and egg, and press into the bottom of the prepared pan. The crust should not come up the sides. Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crust will not look done.
  3. While the crust is baking, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, egg, pecans and coconut. Pour evenly over the warm crust and sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips. Bake for 24-30 minutes, until the top is a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment