Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fat and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Fat and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough January 11, 2013 from Stay at Home Foodie

I don't really do New Year's Resolutions anymore but if I did one, it should probably be that I have to make all the recipes I've pinned on pinterest before I add anymore to my  recipe pin boards.  My "Baking Recipes I Need to Try" board has 161 pins on it (after I deleted some in an effort to bring myself under control).  The board with real food recipes has 72 pins.  To be fair, the "Pinned Recipes I've Already Made" board has 92 pins on it so I really have been chipping away at it.  Still, I'm losing (or winning?) the battle of pinning more than I can bake or cook.  But it's good to have goals and I think mine will be to work through my pin board before the end of the year.  Really.

In heading towards that goal, I'm trying out this chocolate chip cookie recipe - the only time I like "fat" in any title.  I'm all about the chubby.....in cookies.  Plus, you guessed it, I have dinner plans with my friend Todd again so I have to trot out a chocolate chip cookie recipe in his honor.  Assuming we actually follow through with dinner this time.  If not, don't worry, Todd, I have more chocolate chip cookie recipes to try out beyond this one.  But you're going to miss out on a good cookie with this one if we don't meet.  I love how it stayed thick and chunky yet was chewy, rather than cakey.  The recipe called for melting the butter so I took it a further step and browned the butter before using it in the dough.  I really liked the flavor and how the texture turned out.  Then again, there aren't many chocolate chip cookies I don't like.

3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 1/4 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips
  1. In a medium size bowl, combine salt, baking soda and flour. Set aside.
  2. In a stand mixer, combine melted butter and sugars. Beat well.
  3. Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Mix well.
  4. Slowly add the dry ingredients, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix until well combined.
  5. Add chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
  6. Using a ice cream scoop, scoop out cookie dough balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You don't need to worry about spacing... just squeeze them all on.
  7. Refrigerate for AT LEAST 1 hour.
  8. After the cookie dough balls are cold, prepare them for baking.
  9. Take each cookie dough ball and using both hands pull it apart until it separates in half.
  10. Rotate your hands so that the broken sides are facing up.
  11. Mash the two halves together.
  12. Place on the baking sheet 2-3 inches away from any other ready-to-bake cookie dough ball.
  13. Bake at 450 degrees for 4 minutes.
  14. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 10 minutes more, or until just golden around the edges and still pale {although cooked} in the center.

4 comments:

  1. What is the purpose of breaking the dough ball apart and then putting it back together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's if you want the tops to be craggy like you see in cookie shops. But it's not necessary. In the cookies pictured, I kept the cookie dough balls whole and baked them that way for a smooth top.

      Delete
  2. OK. I have the dough chilling now. They look delicious. The dough was quite crumbly. Is it supposed to be that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine wasn't crumbly but it was a pretty firm (not sticky) dough. If it seems too dry, bake it at a lower temperature and take it out sooner rather than later. Or only bake it a couple of minutes at the higher temperature before you lower the temperature.

      Delete