Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Grilled Salmon

Grilled Salmon - made August 1, 2012 from Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog


This is my occasional, obligatory "throw 'em off with a real-food recipe" post.  I received one of my favorite gifts for my birthday, namely an amazon gift certificate. which burned a hole in my email inbox until I spent it on a new Zojirushi indoor electric grill.  Although I don't really cook much, I've been wanting an electric grill for awhile because a) I'm hoping that would make me miraculously cook more, b) the grill would magically turn out really good food despite my lack of cooking skills, c) an indoor electric grill is much easier to clean and cook with than an outdoor grill but mostly d) because one of my neighbors keeps grilling the most delicious-smelling, mouthwatering, drool-worthy food and I was in serious gastronomic envy every time they grilled.  I don't even know what they grill but it always smells so delicious I want to track them down, show up at their door, introduce myself and see if they'd invite me in for dinner.

But rather than pathetically intruding on my neighbors, I finally pulled the trigger on getting a grill of my own and for my first test run on it, I went with this simple grilled salmon recipe I found on pinterest.  You have to click back on the recipe title to the original blog post from Mel's Kitchen Cafe because that picture looks so good.  Mine doesn't look as moist and I think the mistake I made was not holding back some of the marinade (pre-salmon soaking) and using that to baste the salmon with as I was grilling it.  Told ya I don't cook much.  Next time.  Still, this was pretty tasty and for once, I was the one filling the air with a delicious barbecue aroma.  So there, neighbors.  Enjoy with your olfactory senses while I get down to eating.


1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
lemon pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
  1. Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
  2. In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  3. Preheat grill for medium heat.
  4. Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
  Cast Party Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment