Saturday, April 14, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Caramel Bits

Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies - baked April 14, 2012

Remember the Chocolate Chip Cookie Tarts that I made from The Sweet Spot's blog?  I had some leftover dough so I baked it off today and brought them to a family get together.  Turns out they're pretty good as regular cookies too.  Make sure not to overbake them.  These are best when the edges are golden brown and the middles are just barely baked.  They'll fall in the middle and set when they cool.  If they're overbaked, they'll be dry and more cakey than chewy.

A public service announcement on the caramel bits: you can find them in 11-oz bags at Target in the baking aisle. (Not sure if grocery stores sell them too since I rarely buy groceries at a real grocery store anymore but they might.)  I mention this because I've had at least 2 friends bake recipes from my blog that use the caramel bits but they couldn't find them so they ended up buying (some kind of) caramels and cutting them into bits.  In theory, that should work too but you don't want the super-chewy or hard caramels that will become really hard after they're baked and cooled.  Not to mention cutting up caramels into bit-size pieces is much too time-consuming.  Much easier to head to Target and fork over $2 for the bag of caramel bits and save yourself the time.


4 comments:

  1. These look amazing - even better as cookies, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any suggestions for what I should do with my bag of caramel squares (other than slowly eat them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melt over low heat with a few tablespoons of milk until you get smooth, liquid caramel then swirl it in brownie batter and bake caramel brownies. Which, incidentally, is what I plan to make this weekend :) Just make sure you cover the caramel completely with the brownie batter so that it bakes on the inside. Or else you'll have the chewy-hard problem when the brownies have baked and cooled.

      Delete