Sunday, February 12, 2012

Valentine Cookies - get your red, white and pink on

Valentine Cookies - made February 8, 2012, recipe adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn

I've already blogged a few Valentine's Day-appropriate recipes in the past that have the red velvet  theme going:
Red Velvet Cookies
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting
Red Velvet Pancakes
Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cupcakes


But I also wanted to try out a new Valentine Cookie, also still using red velvet as the base.  I have a one-track mind.  I adapted this recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn.  The original recipe was for chocolate cookies but since red velvet is a form of chocolate, I decided to see how it would turn out using a red velvet cake mix instead of a devil's food cake mix.  And to give it that Valentine's flair, I used the Valentine package of plain M&Ms instead of chocolate chips and nuts.  I admit, I'm girly girl enough to like all the pink, red and white schmaltzy  stuff. 

These turned out somewhat decent but I wouldn't rave about them.  I was hoping they would have crisp edges and chewy middles like a chocolate chip cookie.  They were fine, more chewy all around than I would've preferred but they didn't wow me.  And I like to be wowed.  I think the missing link is they didn't really taste like anything.  Good red velvet has that chocolate flavor.  These just tasted like....cookies.  But I refused to be defeated.  If I wanted that chocolate flavor, I was going to get that chocolate flavor.  So I went with the obvious and coated them in chocolate.

1 package (18.25 ounces) red velvet cake mix
1/3 cup water
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, melted
1 large egg
6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped nuts

1.   Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350⁰F.  Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2.   Place the cake mix, water, melted butter and egg in large mixing bowl.  Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl, increase speed to medium and beat for 1 more minute.  The cookie dough will be thick.  Fold in chips and nuts.
3.   Drop heaping teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.  Bake the cookies until they have set but are still a little soft in the center, 10 to 12 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Button

1 comment:

  1. Awesome recipe! They look pretty too! If you are willing, you can share this recipe & other romantic recipes with my ongoing-''Valentine's Day Event''(till Feb 20th)

    ReplyDelete