Thursday, June 9, 2011

Coconut Kisses

Coconut Kisses - made June 5, 2011 from Rose's Christmas Cookies by Rose Levy Berenbaum (book #121)


The original recipe in this book is called Mom's Coconut Kisses, presumably to signify Rose Levy Berenbaum's mom.  I remember getting this cookbook after I got the Cake Bible, another book I've had great success with for excellent cake recipes.  Rose Levy Berenbaum gives directions for extracting the coconut from a real coconut and admonishes would-be bakers not to substitute packaged coconut for this recipe.  Alas, I have no inclination to track down real coconuts, roast them and pry out the coconut meat from them.  I'm sure doing so would make a far superior cookie and I've wanted to make this cookie for years but have been put off because of the whole find-real-coconuts thing.  So I've finally decided to just make the recipe and make the forbidden substitution just to try it out.

I only made a half recipe just for something quick to throw together.  After baking, I pressed a Hershey Kiss on top for a few of them like you'd do for a peanut butter blossom.  Nothing beats that coconut and chocolate combination.  After trying one, I have to admit Rose Levy Berenbaum was right - this would likely have been much better with fresh coconut.  Not that it was bad and I love coconut but since there are so few ingredients, the cookie is largely dependent on the quality of the coconut.  The packaged coconut was just okay so the cookie was just okay.  Someday I'm going to have to try it with the real thing or at least really fresh coconut meat that might be sold at an Asian grocery store.  Oh and her directions say to bake at 400 degrees but that browned the coconut really quickly, in under 10 minutes so I'd try it at 350 to give it more time to bake without the coconut burning at the edges.

3 ½ cups coconut, freshly shredded
9.75 ounces sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

1.      Preheat the oven to 400⁰F. (I recommend 350 degrees instead)
2.      In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, mix all the ingredients together until well blended, but do not add all of the milk until you check the consistency.  The mixture should be moist and hold together.  If necessary, add up to 2 extra tablespoons of the condensed milk.
3.      Use a rounded cookie scoop, or a scant tablespoon and your fingers, to form 1-inch round mounds of the mixture about 1 ½ inches high.  Place about 1 ½ inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
4.      Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the cookie’s surface is light golden.  There will still be white spots.  For even baking, rotate the cookie sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through the baking period.
5.       Use a small, angled metal spatula or pancake turner to transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful cookies. I love all that coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! One of my son-in-law's favorite. Sometimes, I put the Kiss "inside" the macaroon for a surprise bite of chocolate with the coconut. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basically just a macaroon, but they look good. :) (visiting from sweet tooth Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings From Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow back if you want too.

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    BTW, your coconut kisses look great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhh dear...the coconut psycho fan is just pleased as punch with this post:) LOVE IT!!!

    ps-I left you some awards on my blog! Stop by and pick em up when you have a chance:)

    ReplyDelete