Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cashew Macadamia Crunch

Cashew Macadamia Crunch - made May 6, 2011 from Hershey's Classic Recipes from Publications International (book #102)


Yet another Hershey Book from Publications International.  I must've gone through a phase of picking up these types of books whenever I saw them in the bargain aisle at Barnes & Noble.  They generally have a certain number of the exact same recipes as well as the same type of recipes but I can never resist the yummy-looking pictures that accompany most of the recipes.  These people know how to market to people like me.

Instead of the usual brownies, cookies and cakes that go into these books though, I decided to try this easy candy recipe.  I've been wanting toffee ever since I went to the SF Chocolate Salon and (cough) gorged myself on chocolate samples.  I've made my own toffee before but have had mixed results.  Sometimes I overcook it and it's too hard and other times I undercook it and it's sticky-chewy instead of having the easy snap of good toffee.  Buttercrunch is a little easier than toffee.  Some people might use them synonymously but I consider buttercrunch the easy version of toffee.  You don't have to work with candy thermometers or worry about the sugar crystallizing as it caramelizes or it going grainy.

Spread as evenly as you can over the chocolate chips
Case in point, this recipe couldn't be easier.  I just came back from a brief trip yesterday and didn't really need to "bake" but I was meeting friends today and you know I can't go empty-handed.  Yet I was tired from a cross-country flight and not enough sleep so I wasn't up to full-on baking.  This recipe came to my rescue as it literally couldn't have been easier to make.  You spread the chocolate chips in an even layer in the pan, boil the crunch mixture until golden brown, spread over the chocolate chips and cool.  When you boil the buttercrunch, keep stirring it so it browns evenly and the nuts don't burn.  You only want to cook it until it's a nice golden brown, about the color of Almond Roca.  Spread it over the chocolate chip layer and let it cool to lukewarm then put in the refrigerator to set the chocolate.  Cut or break it up into irregular pieces.  Although the recipe specifies milk chocolate, you can use any type of chocolate.  I prefer milk chocolate so that's what I used.  You can also substitute in whichever nuts you like but I'm a fan of both cashews and macadamia nuts so I stuck to the recipe as is.

I really, really liked this recipe.  Not only was it super easy to make on several hours' sleep, but it tasted good too.  It had the perfect crunch without being hard on the teeth.  I also like how it looks "homey", as in clearly homemade - this could become my new go-to candy to include in Christmas foodie gifts. I broke this up into irregular-sized pieces, piled the pieces into cupcake liners, wrapped each cupcake paper in plastic wrap and included them in goodie bags.


2 cups (11.5-ounce package) milk chocolate chips
¾ cup coarsely chopped salted or unsalted cashews
¾ cup coarsely chopped salted or unsalted macadamia nuts
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

1.      Line 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.  Butter foil (I sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray.)  Cover bottom of prepared pan with chocolate chips in an even layer.
2.      Combine cashews, macadamia nuts, butter, sugar and corn syrup in large heavy skillet; cover over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.  Increase heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to cling together and turns golden brown.
3.      Pour mixture over chocolate chips in pan, spreading evenly.  Cool.  Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.  Remove from pan; peel off foil.  Break into pieces.  Store, tightly covered in cool, dry place.

Makes about 1 ½ pounds of candy


3 comments: