Monday, January 10, 2011

Low fat, high fiber....chicken?


Oven-fried chicken - made January 7, 2011

This may be one of the healthier things you'll see on my blog...as long as you ignore the butter with mashed potatoes and cheddar muffin.  But the corn and the chicken leg are healthy!  Actually, I wasn't even following a recipe with this and did it on a whim as I pictured putting together something like a KFC meal I used to eat before I stopped going to fast food.

I was having one of those use-what-I-have-on-hand days and this fit the bill.  I had buttermilk I needed to use before it expired so I soaked a package of chicken legs in buttermilk overnight like my other recipe had me do.  Except, instead of frying it, I oven baked it and skipped all that oil.  For the coating, I crushed Fiber One cereal with a rolling pin and coated the chicken legs in the crumbs after letting the excess buttermilk drip off.  No egg, no flour, just Fiber One and some random spices I threw in.  The main motivation for using the Fiber One was I bought the cereal thinking it was healthy. And it is. One 1/2 cup serving only has 60 calories and a whopping 14 grams of fiber.  Which would've been great except I didn't like the taste.  I had tried a different Fiber One cereal and been fine with it but couldn't make myself like the original version.  After trying a serving, I can safely check "eat bark" off my bucket list.

But I didn't want the cereal to go to waste so I figured I would try it as chicken coating.  Cornflakes can do it, why not Fiber One?  It actually didn't turn out half bad.  The coating made it crispy and the cereal is already the color of golden brown chicken so all you really had to do was cook the inside.  Protein and fiber - what a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment