Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Skinny Scampi

Skinny Scampi - made January 6, 2010 from The Most Decadent Diet Ever by Devin Alexander

I love shrimp so I was predisposed to like this dish even just by reading the recipe. And it didn't disappoint. Ironically, I don't usually eat scampi just because of the high butter content and I normally prefer butter in baked goods or on a warm piece of bread rather than on something savory like shrimp or lobster. But the recipe seemed really easy to make and it was. The important thing is to prep your ingredients and that was probably the most time-consuming part. I'm actually an expert at peeling and deveining shrimp since that was one of the few things I could do to help my mom when she cooked so that was no big deal. But I'm certainly not fast at it. Although the recipe says to leave the tails on, I took them off while I was peeling the shrimp. I was peeling them anyway and my hands were already messy so why not? I don't like having to take the tails off of cooked shrimp while I'm eating them - it only slows me down :).

Once you turn the pan on, putting together this dish goes really, really fast so it's important to have your mise en place fully ready. I had bought a wine opener (the good kind since I doubted my strength in yanking a cork out of a bottle with just a corkscrew) so I had the white wine ready and I used the last of my mom's organic lemons to squeeze the lemon juice. Cooking the shrimp and putting together the sauce took almost no time and you end up with a delicious dish. This is another entree I could serve up to company as well as eat without rice - for you low carbers, this easily goes on a salad for a healthy, low-calorie meal.

So far, this cookbook has been a really good investment. I know of a few people who already have it and have recommended other recipes in the book for me to try. I've had a couple of people also tell me they're going to buy the book based on what I've posted so I'm very pleased about that. Definitely don't just rely on what I'm posting as there are many other recipes in the book that look good as well. I doubt I'll be able to try them all or blog about all of them so don't miss out.

Skinny Scampi

1 ¼ pounds medium (31-40 count) shrimp, peeled (tails left on) and deveined
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
Black pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 ½ tablespoons)
¼ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons light butter (stick, not tub)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1. Toss the shrimp with the olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
2. Place a large nonstick skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, put in half of the shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are just pink on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Add half of the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp are lightly browned on the outside and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and cover to keep hot. Repeat with the remaining shrimp and garlic. Add them to the platter and cover.
3. Add the wine and lemon juice to the pan. When the liquid is reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes, turn the heat to low and add the butter and 1 tablespoon parsley. Use a wooden spoon to stir until the butter is melted completely, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Spoon the sauce over the shrimp and toss well, then garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment